Monday, September 19, 2011

New post... finally!!

I'm sorry that it has taken so long to put up a new post!  Points of interest:

 


Math: We tested over Measurement, Time, and Temperature.  We are now in a unit on Measurement.  Time will fly with each math unit!  We will do a lesson a day.  We are also pre-testing for each unit to appropriately group students.  We will be focusing a lot on vocabulary.  Students should be practicing basic facts at home, while we continue to do Rocket Math at school.  There is math homework almost daily.

Writing: We have been reviewing and diagramming the parts of a sentence: subjects, predicates, subject describers, and predicate expanders.  We will begin to work on types of paragraphs.

Anthology: We have learned vocabulary, built background, read, and done comprehension activities for Akiak and Grandfather's Journey.  Ask your child to summarize these stories.  Also, we will have a spelling test every week (except for a few odd weeks here and there).  Your child is assigned spelling homework a couple times a week and tested at the end. 

Guided Reading: Each group has been working on reading while using specific strategies, such as predicting.  During independent time, students are reading chapter books, writing in a journal, reviewing cursive, and reading other content related to content themes (ex. Iowa History).


Social Studies: We are wrapping up our unit on Iowa History.  Students really enjoyed our Farm to Table field trip.  See the pictures below.  We will be taking another field trip on October 7 to Living History Farms.  Ask your child what they have learned about Iowa History!


SWINE (HOGS):

SHEEP:

TRACTOR SAFETY:

GOATS:

COWS:


CORN:

TECHNOLOGY:



33 comments:

  1. The pigs did funny stuff and they kind of smelled.I wish we could pet them.I have never have peted a pig before I wish we can go there again someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have learned that they use mostly every part of thier body!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have learned that they use all of the animals body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeeing the goats was so fun because we had a lot of fun mostly when they licked kabba on the hand .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abbileni and Jade.:) :)September 20, 2011 at 8:53 AM

    It was fun to watch the sheepdog gather all those sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was fun to see the goat had my name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The weirdest thing happend right when we were petting Jade she went number 2. eewww

    ReplyDelete
  8. At farm to table day I learned alot from everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a really good time at the farm well exsept
    when I got sick when we were looking at the pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a good time it was fun by Mackenzie Peter

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like whaching the sheep getting chased by the dogs it was so fun

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was fun when we sat in the trackter and look for Lisabeth&Lucas. I could see Lucas's head.I liked when the lego man went in the corn then he sank.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked it when the dogs brought the sheep to the man and we got to pet a sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like when we where learning about corn because you can make about 38 boxes of ceral from corn

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked the bookmarks that the nice lady made. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i liked petting a goat named jade.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked learning about sheep because we got to see border collies round up the sheep when the man told them to.:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked learning about tachnolegy because I learned that they use remote controls to work on crops.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked learning about pigs. I remember that they use pigfat in gum,they also use pigfat in jello. I don't think I ever gonna chew gum or eat jello again!!!!! :) ;) :) Well maybe???????

    ReplyDelete
  20. I liked learning about the pigs. They use pig fat in gum and jello also they use the fur for pait brushes!I dont know if im gonna have gum or jello agin. Well maby just some not that much :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Guadalupe and LIsbethSeptember 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM

    thank you for the trip our favorite part was peting the goats and seeing the sheep run so fast because the visious dogs scard them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was awesome when the sheep dogs rounded up the sheep. and how they followed the commands ond the commands were almos a whisper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. swhen i was peting the goat it went #2 and the pigs did #2

    ReplyDelete
  24. we learned you can't see a per son from where the person is sitting

    ReplyDelete
  25. It was fun to be at the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wish we could go back to see the animals!!!!!!!!! :->

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wish Karlina would have come to the field trip she would've learned alot about agriculture.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved lunch becuase we had a pork berger and I saw my old school they all came up and huged me I wanted to cry so bad.I miss my old school

    ReplyDelete
  29. GUADALUPE AND LISEBETHSeptember 27, 2011 at 9:26 AM

    GOING TO THE FARM TO TABLE FIELD TRIP WAS SO MUCH FUN WE LEARND THAT YOU CAN MAKE CUPS OUT OF CORN AND THAT HAY IS MADE OUT OF GRASS

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love going to farm to table because you where learning so about Iowa.you could learnif you where there.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I learned that pig fat is in jello and gum.I dont know if i'll ever eat jello or chew gum again!!!!! Well mabey.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It was fun going to farm to day becausewe got to see and learn about lots of animals.I hope we go there again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I still eat jello and gum. I'm chewing gum right now.

    ReplyDelete