Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Anthology vocabulary words

Key Vocabulary
Definition
Sentence
Allegiance
p.264
Loyalty to one’s country or a person
Everyone then rose and joined the judge in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Chamber
p. 262
A meeting room used by lawmakers
“Let’s fine the chamber.  It’s on this floor.”
Citizens
p.264
Official members of a country
“Two hundred nineteen of you from 32 countries have become US citizens here today.”
Citizenship
p.264
The status of a citizen with accompanying rights, duties, and privileges
“… these petitioners have qualified for citizenship in the USA.”
Enrich
p. 264
To improve the quality of
 “May citizenship enrich your lives as your lives enrich this country.”
Examiner
p.263
An official who inspects or asks questions
Soon the examiner appeared, and the room became quiet.
Oath
p.264
A pledge or promise to act a certain way
“will you repeat after me the oath of citizenship.”
Petitioners
p. 264
People who ask for something in writing
“… these petitioners have qualified for citizenship in the USA.”

These are for the story A Very Important Day.

9 comments:

  1. I want to play the memory game of A Very Important Day. It is fun because, I've played it before at my house and at school!! I can't wait to play it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like doing this activity because after we make the cards we get to play a game and i like to play memory!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These words are very helpful for when we read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of the word petitioners before!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know that Oath meant a pleage or promise to act a certain way


    By, Shakira

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know what allegiance ment but I knew it had something to do with The Pledge Of Allegiance!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was very fun playing memory I liked it alot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. memory is very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was fun when we played memory:)!

    ReplyDelete